Thursday, October 28, 2010

Delic

After exploring the bookmarking site Delicious for this assignment as well as using it for other classes, I find I have mixed feelings on the site. I think as a bookmarking site that I can access from any computer it is a great tool. To easily find bookmarked pages at my work computer, home computer or at a library computer is very convienient and a useful time saver. I would definetly use this site for that purpose on a regular basis. As far as the use of tags, I have conflicted ideas. In theory it seems to be a great idea and a way to take social networking to a very useful level. But, I know I do not use tagging in any regular or meaningful way in my daily work on the web. For me and many others I have questioned, using tagging is just not a part of their daily research activities. In many ways it seems like just one more thing to add to the already overwhelming variety of web 2.0 tools and offerings. I imagine so many different ways tagging could be used in an academic library setting specifically in regards to reference but I really feel it is a tool that is not used by the majority specifically the average undergrad or grad in a university setting. For example a reference librarian I know was very excited to use tagging in an effort to help student with their researching needs. She felt it would be a great tool to lead them to valuable and relevant sources but the students didn't use it and she never saw the hopeful results she anticipated.

No comments:

Post a Comment